You are here: Parishes and Monasteries → Alabama Parishes → Annunciation (Montgomery)
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church was established in Montgomery, Alabama in the year 1943. Its founding members were the Xides, Costopoulos, Contos, Costarides, Katechis, and Moss families. The parish was situated to serve Central and Southeastern Alabama, and parts of Western Georgia. It still serves this area today.
In the early years of the parish, services and meetings were held at Saint John’s Episcopal Church and in the homes of the Pappanastos, Argus, Katechis, Berdanis, and Minolis families. The parish was under the guidance of Father Emmanuel Vergis.
In 1945, the parish bought approximately two acres of land. It quickly built and dedicated a church in December of 1947. In those early years, many priests served the church such as: Father Gaimes, Father Constantinides, and for 20 years, Father James Cleonides.
In 1968, a church hall was built and attached to the church. Currently, the parish has an icon committee examining how to add more icons to the church.
Since January 1999, the parish has been served by the Reverend Father Demetrios N. Kehagias. Its Parish Council President is Mr. George Stathopoulos, while the size of the parish is about 50 families.
The Annunciation church has programs for the youth such as, GOYA and Sunday school. It also has an adult Greek School Program.
The mission of the parish is “to witness Christ in an Orthodox way.”
The Annunciation Church, in Montgomery, wishes to be noted as a church whose parish is not just “a community”, but a family as well, a family in Christ.
To visit the parish website, please click here.