You are here: Parishes and Monasteries → Louisiana Parishes → Holy Trinity (New Orleans)
New Orleans, LA
Established in 1864, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral has the distinct honor of being the first Greek Orthodox Church in the Americas. Orthodox faithful of Greek, Serbian, Russian and Syrian origins immigrated to New Orleans due in part to the opportunities afforded their trades such as merchants and sailors. Mr. Nicholas Benachi, a businessman and Consul of the Royal Government of Greece, offered his personal property for a temporary location for worship. Father Agapios Honcharenko served as the first priest to the Community. Holy Trinity Church was erected with the assistance of generous donations by Mr. Benachi, Mr. Demetrios Botassis and Mr. John Botassis.
In 1909, a charter was granted by the State of Louisiana to the Eastern Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity, later rechartered in 1920 as the Hellenic Orthodox Church. Due to the necessity for a larger church, the original building was demolished, with a new edifice constructed in its place in 1950. In 1960, the 15th Biennial Clergy-Laity Congress authorized the consecration of the Holy Trinity Church as a Cathedral. Additionally, Holy Trinity Cathedral served as the See of the Diocese for the Eighth Archdiocesan District from 1960 to 1965. In 1976, the Community relocated to the present site on Robert E. Lee Boulevard and the new Cathedral was completed in 1985.
In 1992, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral served as host to the 31st Biennial Clergy-Laity Congress of the Archdiocese, along with the National Philoptochos Convention and the Archdiocesan Young Adult League Conference. Thousands of participants attended the joint events. In 1999, the Cathedral celebrated the 135th anniversary of its establishment and May 30, 1999 was proclaimed “Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral Day” by the Mayor and City Council of New Orleans and the Governor of Louisiana. The new Cathedral edifice was consecrated in February, 2001.
Under the spiritual guidance of Father Anthony Stratis and the administrative leadership of Parish Council President Dr. Nick Moustoukas, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral ministers to over 300 parish family members throughout southern Louisiana.
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral serves to bring the message of Christ to the world and spiritually nurture the Orthodox Christian faithful through the sacraments and ministries of the Church. While Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral holds the historical distinction of being the “First Greek Orthodox Church in the Americas,” it continues to strive in being at the forefront of the ministries to the faithful, and to the greater community.
To visit the parish website, please click here.